Saturday, January 8, 2011

Donate Weight!

Its a challenge. But I couldn't avoid it, from the first moment to when I read Shirley's story to the last when I called the Bruce Denniston Bone Marrow Society and officially completed my first weigh in.

I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. Surely I am not enormous, but according to my BMI at about 185 I was at a dangerous 29.1 definitely overweight, and close to the cliff of obesity.

Various efforts had kept this in check but never brought me down to my optimal weight. But 185 is even better then 195 (my top weight) so ten pounds thinner but not nearly as close to the goal as I would like.

Being overweight has lots of problems:

It costs more: grocery bills, eating out bills, snack foods, and CHOCOLAE. Mmm.Oops. :S

Its stressful: to find modest flattering cloths is hard, and we all ask "What should I wear!?"

Its embarrassing: when your slim friend says, you forgot your jacket? Mine should fit you...

Its a drag: I went walking with 3 lb weights. I could not believe how fatigued they made me. Only 6 lbs!

Its demotivating: being overweight is like having a dirty, cluttered house, it constantly weighs on the mind, taking up brain power, and energy from thinking potentially creative or inspiring thoughts.

Its impossible: to look good in a swimsuit.

Its discouraging: because it seems like it will never change.

Its undisciplined: which leads to a nasty unending circle... being fat leads to sadness or depressive thoughts, which lead to eating, which leads to not being able fit nice cloths, which leads to energy drops because of unhealthy foods and poor fitness, which leads to sleeping in and being late to work, which leads to not getting a raise, which leads to eating more ice cream, which leads to short term happiness,

which leads to really not fitting that favorite pair of jeans which leads to mood swings and being a grouch, which leads to bad relationships, which leads to sadness, which leads to eating, which leads to sticking in a dead end job because the motivation isn't there to pursue what you really love, all the energy is sapped in thinking about loosing weight but never doing it. Which leads to eating chocolate, which leads to.....

There is only one way to stop this cycle: Find wrong beliefs  and crush them.

1) Redefine how I think about food (realize just how many calories there is in my favorite junk foods)
2) Redefine how I feel about exercise... this burns more calories so I can eat my favorite foods! It also balances out metabolism and hormones, and gives energy and stamina.
3) Find the triggers and crush them.


This blog is open to the public, during this 12 weeks I hope to get to know you and generate discussion, so that we can support each other and spur each other on... Feel free to leave your comments here.


May the best woman win! (But may we all loose lots of weight!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Feel free to post your comments here.