Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Week 4 Monday and Tuesday

Monday was quite terrible, my legs were like mud, they didn't want to keep running. I still managed to run for over 10 minutes, run/walk/run/walk. It felt bad though, jerky and for some reason it was so hot in the gym my arms were beet red. As the evening wore on I developed a terrible nerve pain in my left shoulder running down my arm, so I hardly slept ( I was half asleep and didn't think to take pain meds  silly me) So I thought that Tuesday would be terrible...

And I was partially right. I was tired when I hit the gym but once I got moving I began to be more inspired.. It helped that another runner was going, he had a strong pace and was working pretty hard, its much more energetic to run 'with' someone then to do it alone.

So I walked for 2 minutes, ran straight for 8 at 5mph (cannot believe this was possible and I did it esp after yesterday being such a bad running day!!) then walked and ran intervals at 6mph (this was really hard.. I was sweating and blah but determined) then finished off at 2 minutes at 5mph. In total I ran about 14 minutes out of 20, so that is good. It still is not as easy as I would like it to be! The main part is boredom though, I have to find something to occupy my mind. Although I am having to put alot of energy into proper stepping and stride.

I have trouble with my knees so I have to make sure that I run without thunking or they will start to act up. And my Dad tells me that a long stride (my temptation... long legs) is worse on the legs and gives a low cardio workout while taking a shorter quick step is better for the legs and gives a better cardio workout.

Cardio is difficult because the lack of oxygen begins to be a problem, mental note to self: I need to learn to breath when running. I was attempting it today and overall I think that is why the run went better, because I was not desperately gasping for air. I think gasping makes the body go into panic mode, then it can't work as hard because things tighten up and each step becomes a chore because the body thinks its going to die. Even mentally panicking is not good.

So,  I've been working on form, looking up instead of down, and not wearing a look of complete misery or tired defeat but one of focus and strength, or mean determination.

All in all I'm happy with my progress (especially today) but sometimes I'm impatient for even greater progress! I just have to remind myself that when I started just 3 weeks ago I couldn't run for 2 minutes at 5mph without being half dead...

I should specify Danita, that a couple posts down I posted my total running times... To clarify that is the absolute total, not the total of running with walking breaks. I couldn't run for 5 minutes without dying either! Those times were calculated at the end, with walking in between for a total of 20 minutes.. so say... 2 minutes walking, 3 minutes running, 1 minute walking, 2 minutes running.. Totaled for convenience as 3 minutes walking 5 minutes running So, ha! I am not as good as you were accidentally lead to believe :) Oops. :S

Time to hit the hay.

How is Sushi for the diet? My friend introduced me to it ( I am a former Sushi hater (ignorance not experience) ) And I loved this stuff! Its a cute little take out place with amazing friendly service down on Marine.  I'd like to be a regular.. but I'll have to look up the calories and healthwise ness. They don't exactly use brown rice haha. Either way its got to be healthier then a burger and real meat is better then cold cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Feel free to post your comments here.